Friday, April 15, 2011

Stompy Jones

Been meaning to write, just didn't have any inspiration! So I will write about my fabulous evening at the Verdi Club.
The set-up: It was the day before my close friend Emmy's birthday and some friends of our has told us (more her haha) about this place in SF where you can go swing dancing. They give you a quick lesson in basics then there's an open session from 9:30-12am. So we got a group together and dressed up and got ready for a swingin good time. Me being the formal trained trainer was hoping to catch the lesson but we left too late and we showed up for the last 5mins before the open session started. So I just jumped in on the side in hopes of catching a lil something. I did, but I basically totally made up a hoppy version of it haha.
Then open session started and right of the bat a handsome tall guy named Michael asked me to dance. I told him I didn't have a clue so pardon me. He was kind and patient and taught me some moves. We danced for a couple songs so I could kinda get the feel for it. It was so refreshing to just dance with a kind older guy (mid thrirties?) who just loved dancing (ok yes he was gay but I also danced with other non-gay men who were also there just for the love of the good time of dancing)
Then I danced with a guy who was just interested in getting a feel if I was interested in him (I was not) and he was a horrible leader. I had no idea what he was doing and I couldn't follow his rhythm and I tried to slow dance sway to the best of my abilities. Needless to say we didn't dance again that evening.
It was interesting and fun dancing with several different men, how they would lead (or not lead) and act with me. One was a very experienced dancer and knew I wasn't so he just smiled and kept spinning me around haha. Others were just keep it very simple and stick to the basic steps and just help me. Others did their own thing so I just stumbled along. One guy I was convinced just wanted to make me dizzy, he spun me around so many times and then we danced around in a circle. Hated it. Plus he pulled me so close I was actually sucking in my stomach so not to touch him any more than I had to.
My friends and I danced and laughed the night away. I definitely will be coming back here again.
It was interesting to note how seemingly subtle (or obvious) moves/stances/positions I did when not dancing would make me "welcoming" or not. If I was standing up, with my hair down, and on the sidelines I got asked. If I was sitting, chatting with me friends, and with my hair up I only got asked like once. Amusing.
Club Verdi is in an awesome place, right at the point on the border of SOMA, mission, and potrero hill. Plenty of free parking. The space is modest but perfect for the event. You walk in and it's got the slight 50s dingy feel, similar to a bowling alley. It's not shabby but it's not oooo nice. You can tell it's been around but it's clean and well kept. There's a bar and a bar space to the immediate left, couches and chairs to lounge on while you sip. Men's bathroom after that (smart..)
Then you walk straight into the ballroom space. It's spacious and welcoming without being overwhelming. There's a stage that's set up higher for the band to place (stompy jones, a fantastic swing band)
A huge fan at the entry way to keep the room ventilated (It worked, never got overly hot as is the tendency is most SF venues especially when dancing, music, and people are involved.)
Toward to back on the left side of the ballroom you veer a left up the stairs into, BEHOLD the women's lounge!
Ohhh man this place was heaven for all women and especially to someone like me (I rate places on bathrooms. Not solely but it's a huge factor to me)
There's a couple couches for lounging, recovering, and gossiping. The bathroom is set up beautifully and is kept amazingly clean and well stocked. There's a couple of private stalls (more like your home toilet where you just shut the door) and a few regular bathroom stalls. Oh man so much space and cleanliness and toilet paper. I was in heaven!
So go to Verd Club on tuesday nights at 9:30 (or 9pm if you wanna catch the beginner's lesson) $10 (12 if you go for the lesson)
This is a great easy date night idea or just a fun clean time out.
People are very friendly and warm. All kinds of people from youngsters (ok well 20 somethings) to the older folks (like 50 somethings) You can dance with other people or not. Dance to the band (which was never overwhelmingly loud) or wait for the big band DJ'd music.
You can do as you please (within reason people) and have a good time. Virtually creeper free too! (there was like 2 there throughout the duration of the night. but they were harmless)
Go and experience it!

No comments: