Sunday, September 4, 2011

Product review - Bachman's Sparrow

Hey all!
So I recently won a drawing from bachmanssparrow.com in which I received 3 lip balms - Peppermint, Citrus, and Strawberry Fields.
So I wanted to give her (my dear friend maria who is an absolute sweetheart and such a hard worker. plus she's pretty knowledgeable about different things; mainly fashion, crafts, and green living/beauty products) a whole blog post in which I review her awesome products.
First up is Strawberry Fields. Now this one is absolutely perfect for those of you who love sweet things and for those of you who love strawberry ice cream. It glides on so smooth and it tatses like you're eating strawberry ice cream! So yummy!
Now Peppermint. This one here rivals and in my opinion beats out burt's bees lip balm. Oh yes beats it by a landslide! Why? Well get this; all of maria's products (she has more on her etsy which you can find the link to on her blog - bachmanssparrow.com) her completely natural! I mean completely. Because what I'm finding out these days is that all natural products are not all natural. And that's bumming me out a bunch. Take a gander at the ingredients found on ther peppermint: beeswax, shea butter, olive oil, honey, natural sweetener, vitamin a, and essential oils. Whereas Burts bees has    Beeswax, cocos nucifera (coconut) oil, prunus amygdalus dulcis (sweet almond) oil, mentha piperita (peppermint) oil, lanolin, tocopherol, rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf extract, glycine soja (soybean) oil, canola oil.  (ingredients taken from their website)
So how does this peppermint beat burts bees? First off it's waaay smoother! You wouldn't think this would be a big deal or even noticeable but it is! I would sit there for 5mins with burts bees going over and over my lips with the balm to get the right even application to feel that awesome peppermint tingle. Bachman's Sparrow's lip balm I just glided it over my lips about twice and it was perfect. A rich even coating over my lips that feels just right. Needless to say I chucked my burts bees.
Now the Citrus lip balm. This one actually ended up being my fav of the bunch even though I thought the peppermint would be. It's a lemon with orange citrus. And it tastes exactly like that which I love. It reminds me of those time when you drink something soothing like tea with honey and lemon. That's how it tastes and feels to me. It's so soothing, the perfect combo of flavors and it goes on so smooth! And here's another way you can tell if something is natural - you don't need as much of it. with these lip balms, you apply it and you're good! You don't need to keep reapplying or even sit there for 5mins while you zone out and keep gliding the lip balm over your lips like I'm sure many of us do.
Maria you are amazing and I can't wait to see what other products you come out with!
All these products are worth the prize (yes spendier than the average drugstore brand but! substantially cheaper than organic all natural products (trust me, I've bought some all natural products recently and lets just say $18 for eyeliner) so it's definitely worth the price. At her etsy shop she has more flavors than the ones I received so you'll find something for everybody to like. Please take a look and more importantly make a purchase!

No comments: